Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Melbourne

Having given up keeping an alias (as everyone guesses who I am within the first five seconds of reading anything I've read), I thought I would tell you about a few golden tid-bits about ol' Melbourne-town, as I happen to live here.





1. I live in Brunswick, which for those of you don't know is kind of an up-and-coming student area where we all own hard rubbish couches and have no respect for our landlords. Anyway, I happen to also live really close to sydney road which looks like this: 



We share it with a lot of homeless people, but also an array of pubs/cafes/bookshops and of course Savers. Anyway, last Friday night I went to The Spot - I had never been there before, but if you live in Melbourne it's the one that does dinner deals depending on the time of day, just past Barkly Square. They have a new Friday night event that's called hung:





I highly suggest it to those too drunk to know where they are, and that aren't afraid of bra-burning lesbians and muscle-tee clad gay men. Otherwise maybe you should stick to Barrys.

2. Even if you don't live in Melbourne, I'm guessing you've been on Lygon street in Carlton and discovered Readings. If not, next time you're here make an afternoon of it. It's a great book shop with an amazing cultural studies section, and as I have discovered, also a poetry reading fortnightly on Mondays called Poetry to Pages. As my friend Luke is currently trying to infiltrate the world of Melbourne poets, we attended post-tsubu-jug and enjoyed a few glasses of (free) wine before drunkenly setting ourselves down for half an hour of poets.


Expect more spontaneous Melbourne-suggestions, gays and bearded ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment