Monday, September 12, 2011

It's been a while since my last post. Here's what I have been busy with:


- Changing the face of social theory. It's a pretty huge task, but I have this dream in which all of my friends and I become the future theoretical gods of academia. We'll all sit around smoking cigarettes and talking about products of post-modernity and the death of theory and melancholia and shit. I think what will really happen is we'll find really average, un-thought-provoking ways of appropriating Jacques Lacan, or critiquing any form of analytical/rational philosophy that we can manage to read through without impaling ourselves. But I can still dream, can't I? I'm going to learn how to smoke cigars in preparation. Perhaps even consider who I'm going to marry in order to create a power-house of theory. Like Simone and Jean-Paul.

Lacan Looking Luscious
Simone and Satre Sizzling

- In addition to smoking cigars and planning sexual encounters with dead French philosophers, I've been thinking about radical feminists. You see, they depress me - there are only so many conversations you can have about patriarchy before you get bored. Whatever - men beat women, rape isn't convicted nearly enough, sado-masochism is only a mode of internalising inequality, we should all stop enjoying phallic objects and encourage feathering and cunnilingus. I'm sick of talking about privilege. Sheila Greer has been harking on about how post-modernity is a theory only allowed to the privileged, and to be honest it probably is - but who is to say that I shouldn't harness my privilege in order to learn and adapt and consider separate modes of understanding our selves? I don't see the point of ignoring my own privilege in order to become what? A political activist, a social worker? An academic that continues to argue the same tirade of top-down oppression? What is wrong with entertaining the idea that power is more complicated than something that belongs, is dictated and harnessed by men?

   
Feminism Fucking the Phallus
Cunt-Conquering Cannibalism




- Smoking slightly too much marijuana and watching a lot of psychological thrillers. There aren't enough cinema essays written on thrillers as a genre.. or maybe I just haven't read them? I also watched all three Matrix movies in one sitting last weekend. That was a kick. Neo is probably one of my favorite characters of all time. So bad-ass. Neo, Elle from Legally Blonde, and Sam from the Lord of the Rings (so much hotter than Frodo. He's too meek). Oh, and Debbie from Queer as Folk, which leads me to the fourth thing I've been up to...

- Characterising my friends according to characters from Queer as Folk. You should try it out. It also works quite well for True Blood. I like to think that I'm a mix between Debbie and Pam from True Blood. I might go and find some trashy quizzes to consolidate this.


Hope you guys have been up to more exciting things than I!


Evilboy.

p.s: Hope you noticed the alliteration.

1 comment:

  1. Alliteration ardently accepted.

    Marry Simmel!

    Love, Lindsay. x

    ReplyDelete